Monday, August 3, 2009

Magazine Mania Monday

My long time most irresistible indulgence has been magazines - cottage country decorating, gardening, quilting and occassional forays into environmental and women's issues publications. I knew after a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG forced separation from a readily available source of such indulgence I was in for trouble when I walked inside Borders Book Store in the River Park shopping area of Fresno, CA last weekend. I tried to 'sneak' unseen by my sweetheart who'd squeezed this side trip for me into the route of necessary errands that day so I could pick up book club selections I was too impatient to wait for shipping from Amazon and couldn't find in the more economical used book store. There were multiple aisles of magazine racks, the ones I yearned to pick up and touch and flutter the pages of were not in the center where I might have been able to disappear for a time, but on the outside - right in the middle - in plain sight. Sweetie is well aware of my weakness evidenced by large overflow in huge baskets in my bedroom and bathroom and has caught on to my 'subtle' choice of longer checkout lines at the supermarket and can always find me when I get 'lost' in the store. I really was just 'looking' for 'Where Women Create', thinking I may like a subscription but won't subscribe to any unless I've been able to first see inside, even though I've heard a ton of good stuff about it. But it wasn't to be found, unfortunately.

HOWEVER, for the last week or so of my sobriety out of the grip of perfectionism I've been so JAZZED and encouraged keeping company with this premier edition of:



Art Quilting Studio I FOUND among the magazines at Borders Book Store and just HAD to bring home with me.

I LOVE books and treasure many but there's a fresh factor in magazines, I find. No disrespect intended to the religious - but it's kind of like going to church and getting a fresh message amongst the ritual. Slightly different, often more than the last time to my expanding creative soul. Or like take out food satisfies an eager appetite when it just can't wait for the time to collect/buy, prepare the ingredients of an elaborate meal.

BEAUTY! INSPIRATION! And in AQS - BONUS! SCORE! - some of the featured quilt artists and at least one of the writers BLOG too!

2 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Ok...first the magazine's yup I'm with you..will meet you at Borders..I could spend soooo mcuh money on them....looove them. The Where Women create..I think I follow them on Facebook...hang on lemme look..yup I do...wonderful stuff!!
Second...ROFLMAO...giggle snort..poor Jim..will make sure the coast is clear. You crack me up!!
Sarah

Kathy said...

Hi Sheila, I'm with you on magazines. Borders is SLOW in getting out Somerset publications. I'm hoping they will have the new ones when I get there this week.... I am pretty disciplined in passing home dec. magazines along but Somerset Life, Artful Blogging, etc...those I will keep forever. Adore them.