Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Avoidance/Procrastination by Another Name

Today I'm creating - - - - - PILES!

That's my psuedonym/alternate label I'm choosing to asign for the too-familiar perfectionist tactic of avoidance/procrastination I'm recognizing as I sort and stack materials for projects I have to get done before the 2d Saturday from now. I've even resorted to my long favored drink/drug of choice - rearranging furniture, when what I need to deal with are boxes, papers, ribbon, wire, sheets and the tools I'll need to turn all this 'stuff' into objects of beauty, preferably breathtaking beauty for 40th birthday party decorations (centerpieces for the banquet and seating tables and a faux version of a stunning french sculpture focal point for the stage adjoining the dance floor). But, the two chairs on the 'library' wall of the family room REALLY do look much cozier with a smaller table/chest between them so two folks sitting there would almost touch knees instead of 6+ feet between them! And the rustic 6 foot long sofa table I had between them REALLY is 'JUST RIGHT' behind the sofa now!

I think anxiety must be exponentially multiplied when a currently recovering perfectionist attempts to do 'work' for another dyed in the wool perfectionist. I was flattered and deeply honored when my dear friend asked my help in preparing for her big 4-0 birthday, in large part due to the fact that I know what a perfectionist she is and therefor her asking me is in fact quite the compliment. I know her desire is for something out of the ordinary and it means something to her to have it done with 'love' in it, rather than buying assembly line manufactured/packaged goods, even though she could well afford to do that considering the spare no expense attitude evidenced thus far in the supplies she's hauled in. Would you ever think of gift wrapping with scrapbook papers????

------wishing I had company for coffee and a chat or it'd be lovely to have a dinner and a movie date for Julie & Julia.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Thanks so much for your visit to my blog. How lucky you are to live so close to one of my favorite places....Yosemite!

Furniture re-arranging is always a fun thing to do plus it keeps me from doing what really needs to be done. I'm a procrastinator, too!