Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What Would You Do For A Treat?

WHAT a PRETTY morning! A 'treat', of a sort. The sun's just risen and we had our first hard frost overnight. Everything catching the first morning light glistens as if lightly glittered and everything else makes me think of powdered sugar cookies or doughnuts.

In this week's Wednesday Wishcasting prompt Jamie Ridler asks 'What treat do you wish for?' My immediate thoughts fly to treats I've already received the promise of for the upcoming weekend.

Darlin's coming home, even if only to bring dog food and for a trip to the market to stock up the pantry and freezer, and 'the boys in the band' are playing again after a too-long hiatus having gotten a satisfactory replacement drummer and the gals should all be heading out to frolic and dance Halloween night at The Pines, a small lakeside venue in Bass Lake. Will I have to choose or will I get to indulge in both?

Usually when Darlin's home I don't even think of going out with the gals, wanting to savor every moment of togetherness we can squeeeeeeeeeeeze out of the precious few hours he gets to be here. Besides, I know he'll pooh - pooh any suggestion of costuming and as a successfully recovered alcoholic he doesn't indulge and ethically I abhor the idea of asking him to indulge me. Somehow having him spend $ on alcohol for me seems to skate on the edge of the concept of the thought being equal to the act as far as sin goes. It just seems very wrong to allow money he's exchanged his time and labor for then be exchanged for vapors and I confess, a rare night out dancing just seems incomplete without a whiff of alcohol induced mood elevation accompanying. I expect Darlin' and I will snuggle up on the eyesore big blue couch and maybe watch a movie until one of us is snoozing.

But a treat to wish for brings forth a couple of out of my reach things:

1) Tickets and air fare and a place to stay for Rachel and I and hopefully a few good friends who can swing it to go to one of Garth Brooks return performances for Rachel's 21st B-day in early March in Vegas (never been, either to Vegas or to see Garth live)

and

2) For my birthday later in March to go to ARTFEST weekend in Port Townsend, WA. (again, never been to Washington state nor have I been to any communal gathering of fellow creatives actively unleashing their creative spirit outside of a class/workshop) OR International Quilt Festival in Chicago a couple weeks later, which would also allow me time with my kids/grandkids (be there for Lil Leo's 6th B-day) and maybe be able to throw in a CUBS game.

11 comments:

Grammy said...

Hope you have lots of fun.
As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Jennifer said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so do I also wish for her with all my heart!

Jennifer

Sarah Sullivan said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Oh oh oh yes to them all...isn't it wonderful when they come home. I miss mine too!! The WA trip..is out my way!! How fun are these! I love the quilting show too!! May each and every one come to you hon, Sarah

Theresa said...

As Shelia wishes for herself, I wish for her also.

Holly said...

Enjoy your darlin's time and love. Fill your cup for when the time is dry.

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I lovingly and with intention wish for her, also!

You are a good partner to view the concept of drinking around your guy in that light. Bravo to both of you. Him for fighting the good fight; you for supporting his effort while he does!

Suzie Ridler said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Sara said...

As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also. :)

Sojourner said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also! Wishes come true!

Unknown said...

As Sheila wishes, so do I! Yes to them all

Lis said...

As Sheila wishes for her herself, so I wish for her also.

Wonderful treats ... you deserve them all!

Angela said...

Sheila, as you wish for yourself so I wish for also :-)