Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Spirit Is Wishing ..

---to be FED! Like the plant in the play/movie 'Little Shop of Horrors' my spirit SCREAMS, "FEED ME!" in response to Jamie's prompt for this week's Wednesday Wishcasting.

All around us at this time of year are magazine features, spots in almost every TV talk/variety show and there's NO MERCY if you happen to click on FOOD NETWORK. (---rolls eyes---I KNOW! Don't ask me how I know but I bet you do too.) Some of us financially challenged by unemployment and other factors of the 'recession economy' are rather frantically searching for something special that might be conjured up (using ingredients already in the pantry)to give in place of gifts we can't afford to buy and have run out of time to craft.

Isn't everyone around YOU baking and cooking all manner of delicious-ness? Bringing tremendous pleasure to your senses - filling the air with sweet scents, making your eyes pop and your mouth water? Favorite people in my life, miles too far away to share a mug of tea/coffee or even a glass of a jolly beverage with, have been coming to mind and setting my heart yearning for their company. With thoughts and yearnings comes a voracious appetite for certain foods we'd make for and with one another and share whenever we spent good times together. (---rolls eyes, again---you KNOW that stuff just doesn't taste as GOOD by your lone-some, does it? I KNOW. Again, don't ask.)

We are bombarded with appeals from one after another charitable organization for donations to 'feed the hungry'. And some of us actually are motivated to give, donate, cook, serve for others. And still, we sit down after it's all been done - exhausted, a dazed expression on our face in the mirror and we ask ourself silently, "Is THAT all there is? What happened to the Spirit of Christmas?"

I'm wishing to follow THIS recipe:
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control. Against such there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23

7 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.
I am with you here..I would love to get back to this season being simple..fruits of the season instead of all of this running around like crazy! May the fruits of the spirit fill your holidays and the new year hon!!
Blessings, Sarah

Karen D said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. I long for simplicity at this time of year also. May your wishes come true.

Jen said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Your post is exactly why this year I am being very simplistic in my giving. My children, cookies, and homemade gifts. I have had it with commericalism on the holidays. IT"S NOT what the Holidays are all about. Our decorating is also very simple. I'm just too dang tired!~

Giulietta the Muse said...

Hi Sheila,

Excellent wish and post! Why not give the presence instead of Presents? all the time we run around looking for gifts we could be spending with each other. The economy needs to resurrect itself with useful jobs that make the world a warmer, more welcoming place.

I wish for you to re-find the true spirit of Christmas. The Tiny Tim one!

j.

Anonymous said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!!!

I am right there with ya on this one!!
:)

Sarah Sullivan said...

Giggle snort..blowing eggnog out my nose..thank you for the comment hon..whahahahahah...uhg!:)))

Beverley Baird said...

As Sheila wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.